View Single Post
  #802  
Old 13-04-2023, 14:30
KostiaFM's Avatar
KostiaFM KostiaFM is offline
Level V Lasers Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,228
Default Re: Daily Market Analysis by ForexMart

EUR/USD. The inflation report has bumped the dollar. Welcome to the 1.10th figure?

The EUR/USD pair approached the limits of the 10th figure, impulsively rising to 1.0990. The greenback fell across the market, reacting to the US inflation report, and the dollar index updated its weekly low. However, despite the upward momentum, bulls have not yet been able to test the 10th figure, let alone consolidate above the 1.1000 mark. The fact is that the inflation report is somewhat contradictory: while the Consumer Price Index continues to fall, the core index showed an upward dynamic. Therefore, the 1.1000 level holds steady, although the positions of the dollar bulls have noticeably shaken.

In the language of dry numbers:

The CPI fell quite sharply in March - by 1% compared to the February value. With a forecasted decline to 5.6% (according to other estimates - to 5.2%), the indicator came out at 5.0% in annual terms (in February, the index was at 6.0% y/y). This is the weakest growth rate since May 2021. In monthly terms, the index was also in the "red", reaching 0.1% (with a forecasted growth of 0.3%).

At the same time, the core CPI, excluding food and energy prices, came out at the forecasted level: in annual terms, the indicator rose to 5.6%. Notably, for the last 5 months, the core index consistently declined from 6.6% (in September 2022) to 5.5% (in February 2023). For the first time in the last six months, the growth rate of the core CPI accelerated.

The report indicates that energy prices in March fell by 6.4% after February's growth of 5.2% (in particular, gasoline prices dropped by 17.4%). Food prices in March rose by 8.5% after an increase of 9.5% in February. Used cars became cheaper by 11.6% (in February, a decline of 13.6% was recorded). Overall, most price categories showed easing price pressure - even rent. This segment is important because high rental prices have prevented underlying inflationary pressure from easing. However, according to some experts' estimates, in the mid-term (in the coming months), a further decline in rental inflation can be expected.

Market reaction

Markets reacted quite significantly to the sharp drop in inflation. The US dollar index fell within a few hours from 101.85 to the current low of 101.16. If the current rates persist, the index will test the hundredth figure for the first time since early February. Treasury yields also fell: in particular, the yield on 10-year government bonds has currently dropped by 5 basis points (i.e., to 3.378%), while the yield on 2-year notes has fallen by 7.9 basis points, to 3.945%.

On the other hand, gold is showing an uptrend: June gold contracts on the New York Comex exchange have impulsively risen by almost 1% to $2,037 per troy ounce.

The dollar is also getting weaker amid growing hawkish expectations. According to data from the CME FedWatch Tool, the probability of a 25 basis point rate hike in May is currently over 70% (72.2%). On Tuesday, the chances of this scenario being realized were estimated at 60% (and accordingly, the probability of maintaining the status quo was 40%).

Conclusions

Despite the growth of hawkish expectations, the dollar remains under significant pressure, even in the EUR/USD pair. In my opinion, this is due to the assumption that the anticipated 25-point rate hike at the May meeting will be the last in the current cycle of monetary tightening. The recent "banking crisis" did not go unnoticed including for the Federal Reserve, which significantly softened its position after the March shocks in the banking sector. It is unclear how these events will affect lending and, consequently, economic activity in the United States in the mid- and long-term. Therefore, in addition to the expected completion of the current tightening cycle, the Fed also has the option to lower rates in the second half of this year. Whether the Fed will use this option or not is an open and debatable question, but the mere fact of such a discussion will put pressure on the greenback. By the way, according to Fed Chairman Jerome Powell, such a scenario "is not a base case" (meaning it is not completely ruled out). At the same time, the European Central Bank shows a more hawkish stance, allowing, in particular, a 50-point rate hike in May.

Thus, the fundamental background for the pair continues to favor the growth of EUR/USD. The report weakened the dollar across the market and triggered a bullish momentum for the pair, and so bulls approached the limits of the 10th-figure closely. A slight "blemish" in the report, in the form of a rise in core CPI, did not allow traders to impulsively overcome the support level of 1.1000, but the bullish sentiment prevails.

The technical picture indicates that on the daily chart, the pair is between the middle and upper lines of the Bollinger Bands indicator, as well as above all the lines of the Ichimoku indicator (including above the Kumo cloud). This combination suggests that we go for long positions. The resistance level (the target of the bullish movement) is located at 1.1030 this is the upper line of the Bollinger Bands indicator on the same chart.
Reply With Quote